Top Five Causes Of Car Accidents In U.S.
Every year thousands of New Yorkers have car accidents. Below are the most common causes.
- Texting While Driving – There have been many public service announcements about texting while driving. This has become a major problem in New York and throughout the U.S. It is the most dangerous activity that one can do behind the wheel. Unfortunately, despite driver education and public service announcements, more and more people are texting while driving. Accidents that occur while texting and driving can be severe because the driver takes their eyes off of the road for an extended period of time.
- Changing CD’s/Radio Stations – Like texting while driving, fiddling around with the radio or CD player is a frequent cause of car accidents. We understand that it’s nice to have the tunes you want to hear as you drive, but it isn’t as important as keeping your eyes on the road. Statistics from many surveys show that taking your eyes off of what you’re doing for even a second or two can have devastating consequences.
- Drunk Driving – Drunk driving or being impaired by any substance is a serious problem. A Dallas Cowboys football player, whose blood showed that his BAC (blood alcohol content) was twice the legal limit, caused vehicular manslaughter. He killed his friend and teammate. What’s both infuriating and saddening is that accidents like this always be avoided. That is why designated drivers are so important.
- Speeding Or Reckless Driving – Do you like to drive fast? Do you race other cars on the road? Not only is it illegal, it’s dangerous and could cause harm to other drivers on the road. Responsible, lawful driving is recommended to avoid accidents and ensure your safety, as well as the safety of other drivers. There are too many deaths because of unnecessary speeding which would have easily been avoided.
- Eating While Driving and/or Applying Makeup While Driving – Like texting or changing radio stations, eating or putting on makeup is another form of distracted driving. Besides being dangerous, you really don’t get the opportunity to simply enjoy your meal. Do not eat or put makeup on while driving. It isn’t safe.