When Should I Get A Lawyer After My Car Accident?

If you have been in an accident, you should immediately hire an attorney. There are many actions that need to be taken after your accident including
a) obtaining a police report
b) applying for no-fault benefits, SUM benefits, UM benefits
c) possibly filing a notice of claim.
You have 30 days to fill out a No-Fault accident form and send it to your insurance carrier. No-fault benefits include payment of up to $50,000 for your medical care following an accident. You should also notify your insurance company that you may be filing an uninsured motorist claim. Many insurance policies have this coverage, which can help you get more money if the driver that caused your accident has no insurance coverage or minimal insurance coverage (like the New York State minimum of $25,000). Lastly, you may have a claim against a municipality (village, town, county or city). In that case, you have 90 days to mail a notice of claim, via certified mail, to the municipality. The notice of claim contains the date of your injury, details about your injury and how it occurred, and other facts that may help to establish your personal injury claim against the municipality, showing that they may be at fault for your injury.
Given the trauma and the pain that you may be experiencing, you probably want to focus on your recovery and not on filing paperwork and submitting notices to the government. That is why you need a skilled and experienced attorney who will fight for your rights.
Share this Article

About the Author

Jason B. Kessler Attorney At Law is a full service law firm where attorneys with their extensive experience provide strong & Aggressive defense against Personal Injury cases.